Welcome to Montana Trout Fishing!

Bringing you up-to-date information for fishing around Bozeman Montana. Feel free to Email me anytime at Norbaracer13@gmail.com!

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The East Gallatin Proves Again! 6/12/13

       The East Gallatin has once again proven to me that it remains a top-notch fishery within the city limits of Bozeman. Having such a place so great, and under-fished, ten minutes away, I often forget its even there. With the big rivers also within a reasonable driving distance, many people don't pay much attention to the East. The day was June 12, 2013. Thunderstorms were threatening my day in the water and time was against me. The temp was seventy-five degrees and the barometric pressure was falling. Water level was a bit high but visibility remained well enough for an excellent day of fishing.
     
         I started off at the Cherry River fishing access right off of Frontage Road. I had rigged a nymph-style, red san juan with a pheasant tail flashback on the bottom. The first hole I fished was at the end of the meandering foot trail that branches off from the main walking path. There is a nice little informative display about the fish that are found in the East Gallatin. It often poses as a good place for visitors to watch a fisherman catch a trout. Today I was on display, performing a handful of catch and releases for an audience of three people. It was enjoyable for me and them alike and I eventually had to move on. Around the next bend there are a couple of good runs but nothing produced fish. I crossed the river which was knee high and reasonably easy to pass. I made hast to find another similar hole such as the previous before the weather turned.

         By now, Im fairly secluded from yards and trails. Way back deep in the oasis that is the East Gallatin, I was hearing trout left and right. Big fish slurring in the shallows under trees. Little trout were flinging themselves out of the water about every eight to ten seconds. I was getting a feeling that these fish haven't been disturbed since last fall. The incoming weather was also for my advantage. I managed a few more twelve inch rainbows and a few more snags, resulting in using up my leader. I figured since I had a short leader, why not tie on a streamer? I chose a fairly heavy, large black streamer. I'm pretty good at pitching them right into the strike-zone, sometimes its within the same area as a basketball hoop. The risk at hand is losing a good fly and the time lost re-tying. The rain had started lightly falling and the wind had picked up. I was inside of this miniature wilderness which was coming alive as the thunderous anvil remained ominously in the background. Deer were on the move, birds and waterfowl were flying with a mission it seemed. The trout were hitting bugs off the water left and right still, and I now had a streamer in hand.

          I was quickly targeting the banks of either side, where there was slower moving or still water. Often with a backdrop of rip rap or gnarled up driftwood, bushes, and sometimes a car, I cast within an inch of the bank. The sound of the heavy streamer hitting the water will turn the head of any predatory trout. Brown trout are the beast within these slow pools of water. I noticed a small piece of water that was much slower, the current blocked by underwater debris. I knew there should be a fish lying there. The first cast hit the water with a hefty splash and I could see a bronze flash, a turn of the head and my streamer inhaled. I set the hook hard knowing what I had. The water then exploded and the fight was on. I was using a four foot leader with some 3X tippet tied on. I wasn't all that concerned about the tippet breaking until he ran into some deep, fast flowing water. It took me about three minutes to get him in calmer water. He then got tangled up in some sticks and I had twenty feet between me and him. I ended up getting him freed and to the shore. I snapped a few pictures, revived, and released him. I didn't get a length, but to me that was not important. It was a heck of a fish for such a small river and a very beautiful one at that. I managed two more nice browns on my way back and missed another nice one, perhaps the biggest of the day.

            Overall, it was an absolutely epic day in my book. I'm still avidly learning this sport and its great when you can catch a lot of fish. This greatly speeds up the learning process when you have so many opportunities to hook a trout. Its better yet having wild trout at the end of a line. That adds another layer on the cake. I managed a dozen or so rainbows and small browns with my nymphing set-up and three very nice fish on the streamer. I enjoy fishing both styles, but the process and reward of effectively using a streamer is incredible. Sure the East G. is a smaller river and has plenty of small fish, but it holds some very big trout, perhaps more so than the Gallatin River. I will always appreciate the East Gallatin River, it proves to be a quality river with little pressure right at home. Maybe I will see you out there in the water!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's clear that you already know the ins and outs of the sport, but I'm delighted to know that you're still learning. Angling takes years of practice and studying. Even so, the most important part is becoming one with the nature and enjoying the sport as a whole. There are days when the fishes seem to be pulled to your hook, and there are days when you literally have no catch at all. It's a difficult sport but everything's worth the effort when you see a trout at the end of the line.

    Bermita Sloan @ Catch Me If U Can Fishing Charters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for spending more time and effort to make this site more interesting to all reader especially for me.

    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thanks for your feedback. If you have any suggestions to make it even more interesting let me know!

      Delete
  4. Some of the biggest river trout I have ever caught were out of the Eastie. Further down river from where you were but still. I have yet to fish it on a fly rod though as i have only just started to learn the ropes of the sport and I no longer live in the area (grew up in Three Forks). I do have to say, as a newbie, your posts have been very helpful and i appreciate your honesty towards your abilities. It makes me eager to get better at it and start catching more fish. Thanks for the tips and please keep it up with these posts geared towards novice and intermediate fishermen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noah for your reply! I agree with you, there are some pigs in there. I try to focus on what was helpful for me. I had help in figuring out these waters and I hope to do the same for others. Please check back soon and I will have some fresh stuff. -Mike

      Delete